Thailand Sandbox Requirements
Updated on September 23rd, 2021
Please follow us on LINE APP (QR CODE) if you would like to be notified when things change.
UPDATE (July 6th) Vaccination requirements now also consider the following as fully vaccinated: mixed-dose, single shot J&J, and single shot if you previously had COVID-19.
UPDATE (July 11th) Mongolia, and Uzbekistan have been added to the approved country list, and no countries have been removed.
UPDATE (July 21st) Travelers no longer need to pay their hotel for the PCR tests, they can be paid for through the official website HERE.
UPDATE (August 17th) The 7+7 Sandbox Extension is now officially approved, as by the TAT.
UPDATE (August 20th) Ukraine has been added to the approved country list, and no countries have been removed.
UPDATE (September 23rd) The following countries have been added to the allowed list: India, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Maldives, Oman, Peru, and Saudi Arabia.
- Have a Certificate of Entry (COE).
- Have a medical certificate with an RT-PCR laboratory result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected, and issued no more than 72 hours before departure
- Come from one of the following 78 countries in this LIST (last updated on September 23rd)
- Booking at one of the Phuket SHA+ Sandbox Hotels, and a SHABA certificate from the hotel. If you wish to not spend all of your time on Phuket you may also look into the 7+7 Sandbox Extension.
- Full pre-payment receipt for all COVID-19 tests (obtained from your Sandbox Hotel). If you are staying less than 14 days then a return flight ticket is required as well.
- You must be Vaccinated 14 Days to 1 Year Before your date of Arrival.
- You must have been in your departure origin country for at least 21 days.
- Children under the age of 12 Years Old do not need to be vaccinated.
- Children between 6, and 18 will need to have a Rapid Antigen Test when they arrive at the Phuket Airport.
The insurance must cover travel, as well as COVID-19.
COVID-19 coverage meets the 100,000 USD coverage requirement to enter thailand.
* The insurance package must cover the full stay of the visa you will be entering on.
* Example prices are based on an USA traveler, traveling from the USA.
- Undergo Immigration, and Customs procedures, and a COVID-19 screening, including RT-PCR tests.
- Install the "Thailand Plus" application, and other applications depending on the province.
- Check in at a pre-booked Phuket SHA+ Sandbox Hotel.
- If you continue to not test positive for COVID-19 you may travel around the Phuket province for at least 14 days.
- You will be tested on day of arrival, on the 6-7 day, and the 12-13 day.
- After 14 nights have passed you may travel around Thailand.
Common Recent Issues
- We have had reports from travelers running into issues flying with Exempt Entry with some airlines. So please confirm with your airline about their travel polcies to Thailand.
Can I take any transportation from the airport?
No, you may only use transportation which has a SHA Plus+ sticker.
Do I need to be vaccinated for the Thailand Sandbox program?
Yes, you must be vaccinated.
Is the Phuket Sandbox program officially approved?
Yes, and it has been published in the Royal Gazette.
Do children need to be vaccinated to enter Phuket under the Sandbox program?
Children under the age of 12 Years Old do not need to be vaccinated. Children between 6, and 18 will need to have a Rapid Antigen Test when they arrive at the Phuket Airport if they are not vaccinated.
Can you change SHA Plus hotels?
A vaccinated traveler may change hotels during his stay as long as the hotels are SHA Plus, and that they have made the reservations before their arrival in Phuket.
Will bars, and clubs be open?
Bars, clubs and karaoke lounges shall remain shut in July. However, SHA Plus hotels may serve alcohol in restaurants on their premises.
How much does a PCR test cost?
A PCR test in Phuket currently costs between THB 2,500 to THB 4,000.
Can I travel outside of Phuket?
You may only travel outside of Phuket after you have completed your 14 nights in a SHA Plus hotel.
What is a Sandbox Hotel?
A sandbox hotel is a SHA+ Hotel located in a region where the Sandbox is approved in.
What is SHA Plus?
It means that at least 70% of staff at the venues and businesses have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Only SHA+ Hotels will qualify for the sandbox program.